Apr 30, 2011

Sleeping is my Favourite Sport!


 It is 4.00 am wee in the morning & I am still wide eyed awake; obviously not because I have a habit of studying late into the night; but, I was hooked onto my cell-phone, the love of my life & the slayer of my sleep. I had to hang it up because I have a very important lecture to attend at 7 am sharp the next morning. 
Now, that is the story of every 2nd medico every 3rd night. 6.30 am trring.... the cell phone, the biggest devil at this time, rings & my favourite ring tone starts playing. I am dancing on that sweet tune in my dreams! - SNOOZE - 6.35 am. The alarm comes again. - SNOOZE -. 6.40 am again! Oh! There are only 20 minutes left. Hurry, getup, get dressed & rush to college. Inspite of all the hamper - scamper, I am 10 minutes late for the lecture; I ask for the permission to get in, my heart thumping so fast, my soul praying that the teacher allows me to ...... 7.20 am - I know the topic is important. I know the teacher is good; but I can't help dozing off. My results for the university exams are out & my Dad not-so-happy about them slapped me tight on my face. I wake up! My partner - "C mon ! there are only 20 minutes left, listen to sir & mind it, he is continuously staring at you! I manage to pretend for another 5 minutes that I am attentive - alert - awake. But to no avail!
            
A chalk peice hits me smack in the middle of my fore head. Not to my surprise, the teacher & all classmates are staring at me. Red faced, I apologise profusely while my foes are sniggering at my infancy. I promise myself that I'll sleep, rise & study - all bang on time from the next day. But my aching, sleep-hungry muscles bid me retire for the day & I spend the 3 posting hours sleeping baby sound in my bed......
Ritu Ramdeo 
Batch 2004

No comments: